Mobile Dental Clinic provides preventative care for 40 KPEP residents
In April of this year, KPEP representatives attended a Medical/Dental Health Assistance Forum sponsored by the Emergency Financial Assistance Network. The focus of the forum was to provide referral knowledge on how to guide clients through the Kalamazoo area’s system for medical, dental, mental health and substance abuse assistance. At this forum, KPEP staff met the Mobile Coordinator for the Kalamazoo County Health and Community Services Smiles to Go Mobile Health Program, a program that KCHCS planned to launch later in the year.
Over the next several months, KPEP staff worked with Smiles to Go Mobile Health Program staff to schedule visits to our Olmstead, Chicago and Park Street facilities in August. Potential patients were pre-screened and feedback was provided on who qualified for services and if they did not, what could be done to obtain services.
On Monday, August 22, the Olmstead Road facility was the site of the inaugural visit of the Smiles to Go Mobile Health Program’s mobile dental clinic, with visits to Chicago and Park Street the following two days.
The mobile unit was impressive. It was equipped with all necessary dental equipment, and the dental staff were able to see two patients at a time. They provided residents with oral screenings, teeth cleaning and oral care education on site. The mobile clinic was able to care for approximately 40 residents at our three Kalamazoo facilities.
We are very excited to have this important service available to our residents. The long term benefits of – not to mention savings from – preventative care are often taken for granted. We are very thankful for the efforts of Kalamazoo County Health and Community Services staff and the KPEP staff who assisted in making the dental clinic visits a success.
- President’s Update – July 2018 ( 07/31/2018 )
- Vocational Program Expands to Eaton County Jail ( 07/31/2018 )
- RAISE partnership to make an impact in Southwest Michigan ( 07/31/2018 )
- KPEP/Kalamazoo Land Bank/Kalamazoo County Treasurer Partnership ( 11/13/2017 )
- Rebirth of Bellevue ( 11/13/2017 )
- President’s Update – Expanding Transitional Housing and Vocational Training ( 11/13/2017 )
- President’s Report ( 07/31/2017 )
- Evidence Based Practices in Corrections ( 07/31/2017 )
- Olmstead’s Bounty ( 07/31/2017 )
- Governor signs correction reform package at Walnut & Park ( 05/12/2017 )